Wednesday, September 14, 2011

$#@!%^ computers!

I am a mechanic (in the pejorative and literal sense)---a blue collar, baby boomer (I just turned 65), with a law degree from Syracuse U., with fingers that kept wanting to get greasy and dirty. I don't take easily to the electronic gadgetry that my spouse and daughters inhale, but if I want to be engaged with them, I am forced to it if I don't want to loose out on the flow. So here I am!

I will from time to time, give my perspective on the drive ability of our 1995 Ford Econoline -Travel Time Conversion Van. Also what it's like to travel with our 75 pound Labradoodle Jack and 140 pound wife Shann, as we weave our way across the Blue Highways of America.

First insight: I stopped in at the Post Office in Badger or was it Greenbush, Minnesota an hour or so behind us (we are traveling west to east along some of the same territory that Shann's pioneer family lived and traveled through a 100 years ago). Of course my wife wanted to know what was up, and of course my mischievous self that always wants to mess with her, wouldn't say until I got young Jack out, with his Sport Dog zapper collar on (it helps remind him of dangers and problems with his human interactions) and ready to go. By then her big old Bass mouth was raising to the bait and I said "O for goodness sakes we're just off to get stamps".

I love getting and sending cards and letters through the U.S. Postal Service! It was my eldest daughters 26 birthday yesterday and I did another of those mysterious stops along the byways of America (Dollars and Less Thrift Store), to find a birthday card ($1) and a cheapo set of earrings ($3)to mail off to her. The Post Master and his one customer were 'jawing' when I and Jack showed up on the scene. I got the needed stamps and 10 minutes worth of conversation on the state of the USPS, local lore and directions to the nearest library. Poor old Jack , looking as sweet as could be and sitting while the 80 year old customer tickled his loppy ears, was wondering why there were no dogie treats, like the ones he is accustomed to at most every stop he makes with me, on our San Juan Island 'runs'.

The Post Office may be a 'dinosaur' that's looking down the barrel of extinction, but it is definitely one of those institutions that has been at the center of community since the inception of this good nation of ours. The passing of a community member on our island is still marked for the public to know, by a picture and obit. posted on the P.O. front door!

Ok, there's my first blog entry ever! steve

1 comment:

  1. Looks good so far, when might your eta be in Auburn?

    ReplyDelete