Saturday, October 15, 2011

This American Life

We left Wisconsin with surprise and great memories. Sheboygan was a treasure, who knew? A visit with cousins AnaPaula, Jose Luis and Luli took us to the Sheboygan Art Institute where we visited the Forget Memory exhibit http://forgetmemory.org/. If you were losing your memory, what if you were encouraged to use imagination instead? I highly encourage you to check this link out ...so much to take in.

My friend, Marta has written the following: "You know I am an optimist - political - an artist - an activist. You know I am prone to my enthusiasms. But in the past two weeks I have sensed a change washing across America. People I've been talking with are waking up to the terror that we all face should this current generation "let democracy die".

And in fact, that seems to be what we are watching these days as our governments are in stale-mate and as corporate interests and the wealthy take full control of what they have created.

But there are cracks in the armor. The civic disobedience that started three weeks back is not going away, as much as the mainstream media wishes it were so. In my little place in the world, I know three people who have stepped forward into public service because they do not believe in ceding control to either the tea party or to the mainstream Ds or Rs.

I believe the next 12 months will be a year that we will point back to and say, "We lived through the year when everything changed." I can feel myself evolving at a cellular level. Those who see a positive path into the future are stepping forward in ways I could not have imagined last year."

These thoughts nourish me for many miles. So much original thinking not captured at all by our media. Thank you, Marta.

Tonight, in Deadwood, South Dakota, I think I will not tax my tired mind to write. The beauty and strength of our country is manyfold. I will just let the photos speak for themselves. Driving along, listening to Ira Glass, and PBS, with This American Life playing on the radio, listening to the stories of American people, drinking in the American landscape makes me feel about as rich as I can be.
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/





























No comments:

Post a Comment